The RequirementsWe welcome all candidates, and this could be a great way for a recent grad or military veteran to launch a long and rewarding career. The key qualifications are an outgoing personality and basic mechanical savvy. In addition, to be a good fit for the Demonstration Event Specialist opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications or Business is strongly preferred
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage in verbal interaction with customers
- The ability to project a professional appearance
- The ability to develop and maintain a high level of product knowledge in order to assist customers by being able to recommend the correct product to enhance performance
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Construction knowledge preferred but not required, and experience using power tools, professionally or as part of a hobby, would be ideal
- The ability to lift up to 50 pounds on occasion
- Flexibility and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to multi-task while managing time efficiently
- A strong sense of urgency
- A detail orientation
- The ability to work closely with and take direction from other Makita staff contribute effectively in a team-oriented environment
- A high level of professionalism and reliability
Pictured: Makita's new 18V X2 LXT® Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Read Handle 7.25" Circular Saw Kit. Makita offers the world's largest lineup of 18V Lithium-ion cordless tools. Our innovation in motor and battery technology is obliterating industry standards in performance and leaving old thinking behind.
The RoleReporting to the Vice President of Training, you will join a new team of five Demonstration Event Specialists across the country. Your mission will be to engage customers at pre-planned events at dealers, job sites and other scheduled Makita events. The objective will be to promote the quality of the Makita brand, demonstrate select Makita tools and educate customers on various Makita products.
You will drive on of our Makita Event trucks to multiple venues in accordance with the Makita event schedule, set by the Sales organization. At each event you'll be responsible for setting up, preparing products and breaking down tables, tents, etc. More specifically, you will:
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of Makita products (training provided)
- Engage customers and actively promote the Makita Brand
- Generate brand awareness and positive product impression to help increase sales
- Operate power tools
- Exhibit good power tool safety protocol at all times
- Learn and demonstrate equipment features, benefits and specs
- Employ good communication skills and project an enthusiastic attitude towards promoting Makita products
- Track inventory
Pictured: Makita offers the world's largest 18V Lithium-ion line-up, offering corded power and performance in more than 160 tools, from drivers to portable band saws to sanders . . . and more. These tools are jobsite proven and feature industry-leading charge times.
What's in It for YouSetting you up for success
We get you up to speed with a training period lasting 30 to 40 days (paid, of course), during which you will meet a wide variety of Makita experts. You'll spend time in our different service centers, work with sales professionals, and visit Makita USA's corporate headquarters in La Mirada CA (in the Los Angeles area). Training will involve traveling Monday through Friday for most weeks.
Our goal is that over 10 to 12 months in the role, you will develop advanced knowledge, skills and experience. At that point, you should be ready to transition into a Territory Sales Representative or even National Account Manager role. This transition will depend upon our needs and your performance, and you should be prepared to relocate anywhere in the country for a new opportunity.
Fun role, broad exposure
The role involves hard work and lots of travel, but the events are fun and upbeat. You will share ideas and insights with people throughout Makita, collaborate with sales, and interact with distributors and end users.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; a 401(k) and profit sharing plan; expense reimbursement plans; PTO; tuition reimbursement, and more.
Pride and brand recognition
Visit any construction site, and you're sure to encounter a variety of Makita tools. Our quality and performance has earned us a strongly respected reputation within the contractor community, which has persistently grown throughout our history and is certain to endure for many years to come as we continue to lead the industry with the introduction of high quality, innovative tools.
Our people are the cornerstone of our success. In fact, if you ask any of our many long-tenured staff as to why they've stayed on so long, more often than not they'll say it's their peers. The Makita U.S.A. team is made up of talented and supportive members who are passionate about what they do.
Video: While you may recommend individual tools, you'll also demonstrate solutions and educate customers. For example, Makita's dust management equipment helps companies comply with OSHA regulations.
Keys to SuccessThe opportunities connected to this role are clear, but we also want to be clear about the challenges. You will spend the majority of your time on the road at different events, and travel will include weekends. You'll need a great deal of flexibility in your personal life, high energy and a strong work ethic.
We promote a team environment, but it also will be important for you to be self-motivated and resourceful about achieving your individual goals autonomously. We are working on customizing the event trucks to make it easy for you to set up quickly and easily. Just the same, you should be prepared to handle setup quickly and efficiently, and be upbeat, smiling and ready to interact with event attendees.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Demonstration Event Specialist, you will:
- Take a proactive approach to learning quickly and then continuing to build your knowledge on an ongoing basis
- Plan your travel to be as efficient as possible
- Pay attention to details but also understand the big picture and how the details fit into it
- Establish a reputation as a reliable team player
- Solve problems independently, but also know when to reach out for help
- Remain flexible and adaptable as schedules and priorities change
About Us100 years ago, it all started with the motor. Makita Corporation was founded in 1915 as an electric motor sales and repair company. Today, as a global brand in over 40 countries, Makita is an innovation leader, manufacturing best-in-class products at 10 plants operating in 8 countries. The unmatched quality and durability of Makita products is driven by the company's strong R&D capabilities, and have earned the trust of professional users worldwide. Every day, on job sites around the world, Makita delivers the power, performance and durability that professional users demand with products that are more compact, have less vibration and feel better.
Believing that the motor is the heart of any power tool, we take great pride in our motor expertise. We spare no expense in producing the most powerful, efficient and best performing motors available for each tool, carefully selecting only the best quality raw materials, employing the most advanced manufacturing equipment in the world, and using the most stringent manufacturing processes and quality control in the industry. To make certain that our quality standards are upheld, constant testing is performed during machining and assembly processes, including a final run-test under power before leaving the factory to ensure optimum performance.
Our success comes not only from producing top quality tools, but also from our unparalleled customer service. From our customer service representatives to our extensive sales team to our R&D group, we are dedicated to delivering complete customer satisfaction. Makita USA is headquartered in La Mirada, California.
Video: Makita has an extensive marketing program that includes being the official power tool of Major League Soccer. We also sponsor top teams in the AMA Supercross and AMA Motocross Series, ISOC Snocross, and others. At some events you may have opportunities to meet sports professionals.