The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for the Industrial Sales Representative role will have strong professional sales skills, a solutions-oriented sales approach, experience in industrial sales, and the drive and self-motivation to get out in the field every day. At a minimum you should have:
- 3 to 5+ years of territory management experience
- A bachelor’s degree from 4-year college or university; or 4 years of related experience and/or training; or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- A background in industrial and/or construction sales is helpful
- Knowledge of the power tool industry, and/or all phases of construction
- Polished presentation skills and the ability to deliver effective presentations one-on-one or to a group of end users and/or distributors
- Experience selling directly to end users or distributors, preferably both
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Solid tool knowledge is highly preferred; actual construction work experience is helpful
- Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred
- The ability to work with all levels and build relationships to gain customer loyalty and penetrate accounts
- Professionalism, even under pressure -- at times a thick skin is needed for success
- The ability to provide great service but also push when appropriate
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit and dedicated work ethic
- The ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
The RoleReporting to the District Manager, as Industrial Sales Representative, you will plan, manage and grow the account base in your assigned area. Specifically, you will:
- Maintain and expand established accounts through direct sales, prospecting, product demonstrations and the promotion of innovative product offerings.
- Focus on key pro-users and job sites with an emphasis on creating a demand for Makita products.
- Schedule and organize demo events, shows, etc. within your territory and upon management request.
- Develop innovative and creative ideas for increasing sales.
- Interface with multiple departments and branches within Makita and your account base.
- Maintain accurate records of plans, initiatives and agreements.
- Provide feedback to your District Sales Manager concerning the total marketplace, as well as any competitive activities taking place.
- Leverage a pull through strategy encouraging end users to influence dealers in order to increase sales and product placement.
By educating end users and encouraging them to make requests to their local dealers, you can effectively create demand for our products and indirectly convince your dealer accounts to increase their Makita product offering, further assisting your sales goals. The ideal situation is when you can approach a dealer and say, "company X wants to buy our products -- do you want to be our partner?" This means sales cycles are a little longer and a little more detail oriented than is typical in construction sales, but you have the ability to work all sides of the process to move it forward to a higher level of success and market development.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Why Makita U.S.A.High potential territory: In terms of expanding our market share in this territory, you'll have your work cut out for you. That means there is a strong opportunity to score some wins and gain traction early on, but you'll need to work smarter and harder than the competition.
Personal autonomy and flexibility: While you'll benefit from the support of management and your peers, you'll also enjoy the liberty to set your own routine and provide your territory with the services you deem appropriate for reaching your sales goals.
Pride and brand recognition: Visit any construction site, and you're sure to encounter a variety of Makita tools. Our quality and performance has earned us a strongly respected reputation within the contractor community, which has persistently grown throughout our history and is certain to endure for many years to come as we continue to lead the industry with the introduction of high quality, innovative tools.
Career growth: With plenty of room for expansion within, this territory offers an excellent opportunity to leverage your experience and showcase your abilities to build it out. Excel and you could position yourself for a variety of managerial roles and ongoing growth within the organization.
Event participation: As a member of our Sales Division you will get the opportunity to participate in many of our promotional events across the country.
Excellent compensation: In addition to a competitive base, commission and bonus incentives, we offer one of the most generous benefits packages in our industry, including a company car; medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; a 401(k) and profit sharing plan; expense reimbursement plans; PTO; tuition reimbursement, and more.
Pictured: Makita offers the world's largest 18V Lithium-ion line-up, offering corded power and performance in more than 160 tools, from drivers to portable band saws to sanders . . . and more. These tools are jobsite proven and feature industry-leading charge times.
Keys to SuccessWhen you come onboard there will be a lot to learn. A good deal of your initial success will depend on your ability to shorten the learning curve. You’ll need to be dedicated to knowledge gain from learning the tools to your territory to company processes and procedures.
By your sixth month in the role, we'll look to you to have already begun establishing strong working relationships with your accounts and end users, and to be consistently reaching -- or exceeding -- your monthly target numbers, which are very reasonable. To develop and sustain these relationships, you'll need to maintain a highly professional image, ongoing product knowledge, a dedication to service, and be driven to succeed. Our top reps have:
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong work ethic.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building abilities.
- A creative and innovative approach to the market and the skill to present customized solutions.
- The ability to excel both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
About Us100 years ago, it all started with the motor. Makita Corporation was founded in 1915 as an electric motor sales and repair company. Today, as a global brand in over 40 countries, Makita is an innovation leader, manufacturing best-in-class products at 10 plants operating in 8 countries. The unmatched quality and durability of Makita products is driven by the company’s strong R&D capabilities, and have earned the trust of professional users worldwide. Every day, on job sites around the world, Makita delivers the power, performance and durability that professional users demand with products that are more compact, have less vibration and feel better.
Believing that the motor is the heart of any power tool, we take great pride in our motor expertise. We spare no expense in producing the most powerful, efficient and best performing motors available for each tool, carefully selecting only the best quality raw materials, employing the most advanced manufacturing equipment in the world, and using the most stringent manufacturing processes and quality control in the industry. To make certain that our quality standards are upheld, constant testing is performed during machining and assembly processes, including a final run-test under power before leaving the factory to ensure optimum performance.
Our success comes not only from producing top quality tools, but also from our unparalleled customer service. From our customer service representatives to our extensive sales team to our R&D group, we are dedicated to delivering complete customer satisfaction. Makita USA is headquartered in La Mirada, California.