The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for the Construction Sales Specialist role will have deep understanding of construction job sites and the construction market combined with self-discipline, solution-bases sales skills and experience, and the drive and self-motivation to get out in the market and work to move the needle daily. At a minimum you should have:
- 5+ years of sales and territory management experience, including significant experience in construction industry sales
- A bachelor's degree from 4-year college or university, or 4 years of related experience and/or training, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Deep understanding of the contractor trade within the Denver market; knowledge of all phases of construction
- Strong knowledge of tool applications
- Strong presentation skills; the ability to deliver effective presentations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications
- A valid driver's license and safe driving record
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a strong advantage
- High-energy, a strong work ethic and competitive drive; passion for your work
- The ability to build relationships to influence buying decisions
- A thick skin with the ability to cold call contractors without becoming discouraged; a positive, upbeat approach
- Self-motivation and self-discipline
- Ability to partner with others and work in a team environment
- Outstanding organization and prioritization skills
- Excellent communications skills in person, over the phone, and in writing
You will cover a territory that includes all of Colorado and a small part of Wyoming. While you'll spend a most of your time in the greater Denver area, you should be willing and able to travel overnight as needed to drive business. This will include extensive driving and you'll need a valid driver's license, insurable driving record and to have reached the age of 21 to drive a company car. Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check.
The RoleRole Overview
Reporting to the District Sales Manager (DSM), as Construction Sales Specialist, you will be responsible for capturing the attention of top contractors in the market with the goal of converting them and pushing their business to local distributors. You'll partner with the Territory Sales Representative for the Denver territory, who in turn will work with distributors, building partnerships that result in increased sales. This is not direct sales, but an opportunity to influence and drive the construction market. As such, success will be measured, in part, by a revenue goal for the territory -- a goal that will be shared with the Territory Sales Representative.
You will get out in the field every day and visit construction job sites in order to earn meetings, deliver presentations and generate interest in Makita's extensive line of construction grade tools. You will target the top 25 contractors in the Denver market initially, focusing on decision makers and others influencing tool purchases. You'll leverage the breadth of your construction knowledge to navigate job sites, who to contact, how to capture their attention and ultimately drive sales.
Specifically, you will:
- Embrace and promote brand values while delivering customer care principals
- Work together with Sales Team to develop and implement strategies in the marketplace that result in conversions
- Manage service initiatives in support of ongoing conversion strategies providing after sales service support through various methods and programs
- Build and maintain business relationships with target end users, key dealers, and ASCs to provide good communication and consistent follow-up resulting in quick action and attentive service
- Provide feedback to the Sales Team concerning new jobs, core products, purchase opportunities, as well as any competitive activities taking place in the Denver territory
- Communicate daily with Territory Sales Rep, weekly with DSM; meet weekly with Sales Team to review and plan strategies, discuss opportunities
- Expand service to customers through personalized service
- Professionally present features and benefits of Makita products by providing sales support, technical assistance, and training to target users and key dealers
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
More Good ReasonsGreenfield, Impact Role
This is a greenfield role that will be challenging and fun. Your gaze will be different than just closing sales. You'll get up each morning with a plan, then hit the job sites to promote our tools and solutions. You'll be generating excitement in an underdeveloped market and once you turn the market toward Makita, you will be the star of a great success story.
Autonomy and flexibility
While you'll benefit from the support of the DSM and Sales partner, you will also enjoy the liberty to set your own routine and design and execute your strategy.
Pride and brand recognition
Visit any construction site, and you're sure to encounter a variety of Makita tools. Our quality and performance has earned us a strongly respected reputation within the contractor community, which has persistently grown throughout our history and is certain to endure for many years to come as we continue to lead the industry with the introduction of high quality, innovative tools.
With plenty of room for expansion, this territory offers an excellent opportunity to leverage your experience and showcase your abilities. While you could be happy and challenged in this position for many years to come, success could also position you for other roles and ongoing growth within the organization.
Participate in engaging events
As a member of our Sales Division, on you will get the opportunity to participate in many of our promotional events across the country.
In addition to a competitive base and bonus incentives, we offer one of the most generous benefits packages in our industry, including a company truck, gas card and upkeep expenses; a cell phone and laptop; medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; a 401(k) plan; expense reimbursement plans; paid time off; tuition reimbursement, and more.
Pictured: Makita offers the world's largest 18V Lithium-ion line-up, offering corded power and performance in more than 160 tools, from drivers to portable band saws to sanders . . . and more. These tools are jobsite proven and feature industry-leading charge times.
Keys to SuccessThis is a challenging role -- after all, it's your job is to disrupt the Denver market -- a market that we have underserved. To be successful here, you will need all of your knowledge of contractors and construction, and the energy, drive and commitment to take the ball and run. You will also need stamina not to get discouraged. It could take 3 to 5 years to really get the territory humming so you must be able to remain motivated.
When you come onboard there will be a lot to learn. A good deal of your initial success will depend on your ability to shorten the learning curve. You'll need to be proactive about getting up to speed quickly, learning about our tools, your territory and company processes and procedures.
Our top performing specialists have:
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong work ethic
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, and a high degree of comfort wearing multiple hats in the course of any day
- Resourcefulness, initiative, and the ability to leverage all the selling tools available to you
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building abilities
- A creative and innovative approach to the market and the skill to present customized solutions
- The ability to excel both independently and as part of a team
About Us100 years ago, it all started with the motor. Makita Corporation was founded in 1915 as an electric motor sales and repair company. Today, as a global brand in over 40 countries, Makita is an innovation leader, manufacturing best-in-class products at 10 plants operating in 8 countries. The unmatched quality and durability of Makita products is driven by the company's strong R&D capabilities, and have earned the trust of professional users worldwide. Every day, on job sites around the world, Makita delivers the power, performance and durability that professional users demand with products that are more compact, have less vibration and feel better.
Believing that the motor is the heart of any power tool, we take great pride in our motor expertise. We spare no expense in producing the most powerful, efficient and best performing motors available for each tool, carefully selecting only the best quality raw materials, employing the most advanced manufacturing equipment in the world, and using the most stringent manufacturing processes and quality control in the industry. To make certain that our quality standards are upheld, constant testing is performed during machining and assembly processes, including a final run-test under power before leaving the factory to ensure optimum performance.
Our success comes not only from producing top quality tools, but also from our unparalleled customer service. From our customer service representatives to our extensive sales team to our R&D group, we are dedicated to delivering complete customer satisfaction. Makita USA is headquartered in La Mirada, California.