The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Sales Representative opportunity, you will have:
- Experience with and knowledge of outdoor power/lawn & garden equipment; you might come from a supplier, landscaping firm, big-box retailer or other background.
- An aptitude for sales, including an outgoing personality, the ability to establish relationships, and the energy, drive and self-motivation to get out in the field and generate interest.
- Solid computer skills including proficiency with MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook); CRM experience is a plus.
- Good mechanical aptitude, physical ability and attention to safety.
- High energy, an entrepreneurial spirit and a strong work ethic.
- A strong commitment to customer service.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work with all levels and build relationships to gain customer loyalty and penetrate accounts.
- Professionalism, even under pressure -- at times a thick skin is needed for success.
- Excellent organization, prioritization and time management skills.
- The ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Bilingual skills in English and Spanish.
- Sales experience, including territory management, research and cold calling, and/or presentation skills.
- A bachelor's degree.
You'll spend a good deal of time out in the field interacting with end users and dealers, so you will need a valid driver's license and safe driving record to drive a company car. You also will need to be willing and able to travel overnight as necessary.
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check.
The RolePosition Overview
Reporting to the Director of Sales, West, you will partner with a Territory Sales Representative (TSR) in managing a large territory of assigned independent accounts and promoting Makita U.S.A.'s extensive line of cordless and gas-powered equipment. Your main mission will be to expand your territory by developing strong dealer relationships, promoting brand a product awareness among end users and thereby create strong revenue growth.
You will help the TSR execute a sales strategy that will increase the use of Outdoor Power Equipment products throughout your territory. To meet increased demand, we sell directly to dealers ranging from a mom-and-pop lawn mower repair shops to mid-sized independent dealers to large retailers.
Day in the Life
You and the TSR will take a hands-on approach to managing the territory by selling to and effectively supporting dealers who sell to power equipment end users. You will travel throughout your territory and provide expert presentations and product demonstrations, partner on user-targeting initiatives, develop solutions and provide problem resolution, account support and more.
You'll also market to end users, and we expect that this will be an area of focus for you. You'll travel to and call on grounds maintenance, forestry, golf courses and other companies, as well as municipalities, highway maintenance, and other organizations that could benefit from our power equipment and create demand in the marketplace. With dealers and end users, you will work to develop strong relationships that will support ongoing growth and development.
Helping build the pipeline and develop strong relationships will be critical to your success, as will be your ability to generate excitement around the products through the outstanding product demonstrations you will provide. By educating end users and encouraging them to make requests to their local dealers, you can effectively create demand for our products and indirectly convince your dealer accounts to increase their Makita product offering, further assisting your sales goals. You also will help build and maintain a strong network of dealers to be able to keep product demand high.
Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Successfully managing your assigned accounts and achieving targets developed for the territory.
- Focusing on the growing cordless segment of the industry as a primary objective.
- Implementing and demonstrating effective initiatives to grow and expand your accounts' sales performance.
- Maintaining appropriate communications with Sales, Territory, Technical and General Managers including an ongoing 60-day activity/event calendar, daily call reports, weekly summary reports and product/program comparison summaries.
- Participating in Regional and National promotional events and trade shows as required.
- Supporting sales goals in relation to overall sales and key product sales; supporting key marketing initiatives.
- Conducting new dealer product training at dealer locations as well as other designated venues.
- Obtaining marketing information for existing product life cycles and new product development as appropriate.
- Leveraging expertise to provide training or product support to all areas of the organization as needed.
- Providing professional representation of products, company and objectives at all times.
- Continually searching the marketplace for prospective business opportunities, relationships or situations with the potential to enhance the corporate goals for conducting sales; report finding to Management.
- Assisting with product testing and development of new products and accessories for the U.S.A. market.
- Assisting with the development of a product safety certification program for distribution to assist the Dealer network in continued product safety manuals, videos and training seminars.
- Participating in trade shows, dealer open houses, and other action-specific events to promote positive relations between Makita and individual Dealers and end users.
What's in It for YouGreat entry into sales
You bring the industry experience and we'll provide the training. You'll learn in a great territory that is already strong and growing. You'll grow your skills in all aspects of sales and relationship-building.
The Outdoor Power Equipment group is new, and we're growing fast. In fact, we're adding a second Sales role in this territory because of increasing demand. We expect to be opening new territories in the near future, which will create opportunities for strong performers.
Upon joining us, you'll enjoy a week of focused company training, and work with the Sales Manager, as well as with Territory Sales Representatives covering other territories (including the Bay Area). You will have the opportunity to take a product course to get up to speed on the product line, learn our internal systems and begin developing a strategic sales plan. Additionally, you will enjoy ongoing training opportunities. You bring the energy and drive, and we'll give you the tools you need to succeed.
New kids on the block
Our competition, having been in the market for years, is mature; they offer what they offer and the field is aware of it. Conversely, Makita is new to this market and is approaching it with the level and quality of products which have built us into a globally known and respected brand, combined with the energy, resources, and vitality of a startup. We're disrupting the market and causing wide excitement. And, if your dealers want something outside of the power equipment arena (power tools, for example), you'll be free to sell those too!
Pride and brand recognition
Through outstanding quality and performance, Makita has earned respect and a strong reputation within multiple tool-using communities (contractors, loggers, homeowners, etc.). That reputation continues to grow and endure and you'll help us build that respect in the power equipment category. You can feel good knowing that you are selling the best and that our quality and innovation sets industry standards.
As a member of our Sales Division, you will get the opportunity to participate in many of our promotional events across the country. As a member of the Power Equipment Division, you will have the opportunity to serve as a subject-matter-expert both inside and outside of our organization!
In addition to a competitive base, commission and bonus incentives, we offer one of the most generous benefits packages in our industry, including a company car & gas card; medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; a 401(k) and profit sharing plan; expense reimbursement plans; PTO and holiday; tuition reimbursement, and more.
Pictured: Makita's 18V X2 (36V) LXT® Lithium-Ion Cordless 17" Lawn Mower offers cordless convenience and delivers up to 30 minutes of run time using two 18V LXT 5.0Ah BL1850 batteries.
Keys to SuccessWhen you come onboard there will be a lot to learn. A good deal of your initial success will depend on your ability to shorten the learning curve. You'll need to be dedicated to knowledge gain from learning the equipment to your territory to company processes and procedures.
By your sixth month in the role, we'll look to you to have already begun establishing strong working relationships with your accounts and end users, and to be consistently reaching -- or exceeding -- your monthly target numbers. To develop and sustain those relationships, you'll need to maintain a highly professional image, ongoing product knowledge, a dedication to service, and be driven to succeed. Our top Territory Sales Reps have:
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong work ethic.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building abilities.
- A creative and innovative approach to the market and the skill to present customized solutions.
- The ability to excel both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
About Us100 years ago, it all started with the motor. Makita Corporation was founded in 1915 as an electric motor sales and repair company. Today, as a global brand in over 40 countries, Makita is an innovation leader, manufacturing best-in-class products at 10 plants operating in 8 countries. The unmatched quality and durability of Makita products is driven by the company's strong R&D capabilities, and have earned the trust of professional users worldwide. Every day, on job sites around the world, Makita delivers the power, performance and durability that professional users demand with products that are more compact, have less vibration and feel better.
Believing that the motor is the heart of any power tool, we take great pride in our motor expertise. We spare no expense in producing the most powerful, efficient and best performing motors available for each tool, carefully selecting only the best quality raw materials, employing the most advanced manufacturing equipment in the world, and using the most stringent manufacturing processes and quality control in the industry. To make certain that our quality standards are upheld, constant testing is performed during machining and assembly processes, including a final run-test under power before leaving the factory to ensure optimum performance.
Our success comes not only from producing top quality tools, but also from our unparalleled customer service. From our customer service representatives to our extensive sales team to our R&D group, we are dedicated to delivering complete customer satisfaction. Makita USA is headquartered in La Mirada, California.
Pictured: Makita's product line is quite diverse. The 18" 50cc Chain Saw has a 3.9 HP engine in a compact saw (weighs only 11.9 lbs.) for a high power-to-weight ratio.