The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the District Sales Manager opportunity you should have:
- A bachelor's degree from a college or university, or the equivalent professional experience.
- Five years of proven business-to-business sales experience, preferably in the power tool, construction, or other related industry.
- A track record of success in sales management, including training and motivating sales professionals to improve performance.
- A solution-oriented approach to sales AND the ability to teach this approach to others.
- A strong understanding of pull-through strategies in distribution channels.
- Proven relationship-building skills.
- The ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of management and all outside customers.
- Solid general PC skills and proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Excellent written, verbal, and spelling skills.
- Strong problem solving abilities, extensive planning and scheduling skills, and the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions best suited for the company and the customer.
- A drive for results and competitive spirit.
- Experience with retail merchandising is a plus.
The RoleReporting to the Regional Sales Manager, as District Sales Manager (DSM) you will provide leadership to a team of six Territory Managers and your overall mission will be to maximize the sales, market share, and profitability of the company product lines. You'll work with all parts of the company to ensure that field execution is adequate and consistent with corporate and regional objectives. In particular, you will partner with another DSM who focuses on end user strategies while you focus on distributor strategies.
You'll need to motivate your team and help them maintain focus in their individual markets. They work with distributors, dealers, pro suppliers and in the residential and commercial construction channels. While your partner DSM will take point on end user strategies, responsibilities will overlap, and your team also will promote our products among end users. You will continually challenge the field sales team to search out growth opportunities using a pull-through sales strategy.
More specifically, you'll be responsible for:
- Communicating corporate sales objectives and motivating the district sales team to effectively achieve these goals.
- Effectively communicating progress toward targeted corporate sales objectives to the Regional Sales Manager (RSM).
- Ensuring the district sales team executes the following at a high level: sales promotions, marketing events, training opportunities, and end-user targeting.
- The direct support of certain key target accounts warranting professional sales management.
- A high level of personal involvement with key end user accounts.
- Attaining district sales goals in relation to overall sales, target account sales, key product sales and sales support of key marketing initiatives.
- Motivating the selling efforts of the district sales team while providing guidance and encouragement as needed.
- Ensuring all district sales team members go through the necessary training to enable them to execute at a high level.
- Conducting joint sales calls with district team members to evaluate their competency, as well as to help them improve their skills.
- Obtaining, and reporting to the RSM as well as the appropriate marketing team member, any relevant information concerning the competition.
- Assisting the marketing team with obtaining marketing information for existing product life cycles and new product development.
- Interviewing potential sales employees, working with the RSM in identifying the best candidates and helping to prepare a bench of future district sales managers, assistant district sales managers, and national account managers.
- Reviewing sales employee performance opportunities and working with those team members to put together plans to correct the opportunity.
What's in It for YouAutonomy, ownership and impact
We'll look to you to assume ownership of this district and achieve your goals independently; of course, we'll provide support when you need it. You'll evaluate current strategies and activities, recommend changes, and execute on your ideas.
This role will allow you to showcase your potential, develop your career within the organization and enjoy the resources and camaraderie of the overall sales organization.
Stability and growth
Makita has a strong financial profile and we remained profitable even through the recession. One reason for this stability is a strong brand: Visit any construction site, and you're sure to encounter a variety of Makita tools. Our quality and performance has earned us a strongly respected reputation within the contractor community, which has persistently grown throughout our history and is certain to endure for many years to come as we continue to lead the industry with the introduction of high quality, innovative tools.
Our employees are the cornerstone of our success; in fact, if you ask any of our long-tenured staff as to why they've stayed on the team for 20+ years, more often than not they'll say it's their peers. The Makita team, they say, is made up of some of the most appreciative and supportive -- not to mention talented -- professionals they've ever worked with.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer one of the most generous benefits packages in our industry, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401(k) and profit sharing plans; paid time off; tuition reimbursement, and more. We'll also provide a company vehicle, laptop and expense reimbursement.
Pictured: Makita offers the world's largest 18V Lithium-ion line-up, offering corded power and performance in more than 160 tools, from drivers to portable band saws to sanders . . . and more. These tools are jobsite proven and feature industry-leading charge times.
Keys to SuccessThere are a couple of ways you can make a significant impact in this role, and both involve coaching the team. One is to ensure they employ a solution-based approach, understanding each customer's pain points and tailoring the offering accordingly.
The second will be to help the team leverage the full Makita story in the sales process. We have the best products in the market, but there is more to engaging long-term customers than simply offering great products and great deals. This approach will help the team achieve the ultimate goal: winning distributor mindshare so that they continue to promote Makita when you're not there. Coaching in both areas will require constant reinforcement.
To excel in this role, you will have an inherent drive for results and a passion for training and mentoring others. You should understand the value of stepping back and letting team members practice the training, even when you accompany them on sales calls.
You'll also need to have the ability to build relationships throughout all levels of the sales cycle -- from end users to executives at the distributor level. We're looking for a professional eager to launch a long-term career with Makita.
Additionally, you will model, for the Territory Managers, the characteristics needed to be successful, including:
- Maintaining a highly professional image and positioning yourself as a consulting expert regarding Makita products.
- Acting as a coach and mentor, incorporating training, performance management and motivation.
- Advocating our brand through the energy and confidence you present.
- Building solid relationships with clients and internal colleagues based on trust and integrity.
- Bringing a creative approach to understanding the market.
- Channeling your assertiveness and dedication to persist in the face of setbacks and doing what it takes to get the job done.
About Us100 years ago, it all started with the motor. Makita Corporation was founded in 1915 as an electric motor sales and repair company. Today, as a global brand in over 40 countries, Makita is an innovation leader, manufacturing best-in-class products at 10 plants operating in 8 countries. The unmatched quality and durability of Makita products is driven by the company's strong R&D capabilities, and have earned the trust of professional users worldwide. Every day, on job sites around the world, Makita delivers the power, performance and durability that professional users demand with products that are more compact, have less vibration and feel better.
Believing that the motor is the heart of any power tool, we take great pride in our motor expertise. We spare no expense in producing the most powerful, efficient and best performing motors available for each tool, carefully selecting only the best quality raw materials, employing the most advanced manufacturing equipment in the world, and using the most stringent manufacturing processes and quality control in the industry. To make certain that our quality standards are upheld, constant testing is performed during machining and assembly processes, including a final run-test under power before leaving the factory to ensure optimum performance.
Our success comes not only from producing top quality tools, but also from our unparalleled customer service. From our customer service representatives to our extensive sales team to our R&D group, we are dedicated to delivering complete customer satisfaction. Makita USA is headquartered in La Mirada, California.
Makita unveiled the world's first cordless rear-handle circular saw, the XSR01 line, at the 2017 World of Concrete expo in Las Vegas. The XSR01 uses two 18v lithium-ion batteries to supply maximum power, speed and run time without a cord. With it a construction pro can cut 3x lumber in a single pass and make up to 558 cuts in 2x4 lumber per charge.